DanceXchange, supported by Dance Hub Birmingham, is pleased to be able to offer five free places to attend two Surf The Wave: Artist as Entrepreneur events; the first during Birmingham International Dance Festival on 15 and 16 June 2018 at Midlands Arts Centre and the second on 18 and 19 October 2018 at DanceXchange. These places are available to independent dance artists who are based and create the majority of their work in the West Midlands.
These events aim to:
- Create a space for thinking about how we create, communicate and collaborate in dance
- Build and strengthen networks and relationships with promoters and venues
- Open up possibilities for touring dance across the UK
- Support artists and companies to respond to these new opportunities
The Artist as Entrepreneur programme offers an opportunity for artists to come together and participate in a period of reflection, development and networking across the UK. Participants will attend two intensive professional development events that are hosted by DanceXchange. These events are a series of 2 x two-day residentials. The programme will include guest speakers, panel discussions, open space sessions and networking opportunities focussing on four key themes:
- Concept • Quality • Communication • Sustainability
These intensive events will also see venue and festival promoters and programmers from the host region invited to network and exchange with participating artists and producers, allowing for facilitated and peer exchange and learning about dance, and the possibilities for presentation.
Who is it for?
We are seeking applications from those who:
- Have produced and toured at least 2 publicly funded works in the UK, and are seeking to build on this
- Are willing to commit to attending a set of two Artist As Entrepreneur events
- Are willing to examine how they conceive, research, develop and present their work to venues
- and promoters
- Are committed to diversifying audiences for their work and working collaboratively with promoters
- Are committed to sharing their learning with other people within the dance sector
Who is this opportunity NOT for?
Whilst we acknowledge the broad benefit that this programme can offer across the dance sector, this supported opportunity is NOT aimed at new graduates and those artists and companies taking their first steps into the dance touring market. You can keep up to date with developments and further opportunities throughout the project by signing up for their newsletter: email “Subscribe” to email@example.com
Deadline / 18 May, 1pm
For more information on Surf The Wave please visit www.pdsw.org.uk/dance-development/surf-the-wave/