STOMPING GROUND COMMISSION
Stomping Ground, a commissioning group comprised of The Place, Greenwich+Docklands International Festival, DanceEast and DanceXchange, is seeking proposals for a bold and original dance work made for outdoor spaces for presentation in either summer 2020 or 2021.
Stomping Ground are interested in supporting compelling ideas that are visually striking and engage across a broad audience base. The commission is built towards investing in artists interested in the development of ambitious, high-quality work, created for outdoor spaces that can grab the attention & imaginations of audiences.
Stomping Ground are looking for proposals which are:
- Adaptable to their location, can be presented across a range of outdoor contexts and conceived with touring potential in mind
- Specifically created for the outdoors (rather than work which has previously been made for indoor spaces);
- Visually striking, and carefully consider ways to engage with audiences who might be a mix of committed attenders and passersby
- Led by a diverse and experienced creative team, some of whom may have a track record in outdoor work
Stomping Ground are interested in hearing from makers who:
- Have an established practice and are able to demonstrate their ability to create work of high quality, with an established track record of successful touring – this may or may not have already involved working outdoors;
- Are interested in how outdoor work can inspire diverse audiences from the broadest range of backgrounds;
- Have experience and are committed to working with experienced collaborators as part of their creative team (e.g. music, design, theatre, circus) and/or other disciplines (e.g. architecture, town planning);
- May not necessarily define themselves as ‘dance makers’ – we’re looking for performance with a strong and distinctive movement element, but we welcome applications from artists from other disciplines who will use movement and dance as a core part of their creation
- Are based in the UK.
Applicants should consider any development and fundraising time needed for your project, and allow sufficient time for a rigorous and considered making the process. It is expected that the successful artist/team will need to raise additional funds in addition to the commission.
The commissioning partners may be able to offer additional producing support, depending on the needs of the project. Stomping Ground has previously commissioned works by Robby Graham and Requardt & Rosenberg.
Complete the Online Application Form here.
In addition please make your proposal via a short 3-minute film which clearly outlines your idea. (Your proposal will be assessed on the strength of the idea, rather than the quality of the film, so please do not spend money on your film. A film from a smartphone is fine.)
Application FAQs download here