We are excited to announce a new strand to our Artist Support Programmes, the dx Mentoring Initiative
This is an exciting opportunity for up to 3 artists to be involved in a new mentoring programme with acclaimed choreographer Gary Clarke. Selected artists will benefit from five x 1 hour sessions tailored specifically to their own practice and work.
Gary will provide a supportive and nurturing environment for each individual artist to explore their artistic vision and interests, choreographic voice and next steps in their journey as a creative artist. Gary will facilitate and encourage in-depth conversations around areas of improvement, forward thinking, progression and planning whilst highlighting and celebrating strengths and achievements. Gary will encourage each individual artist to be at the forefront of their own learning and development to help gain independent thinking and growth. This exciting new programme aims to be creative, thought-provoking, rewarding and empowering.
About Gary Clarke
Winner of a UK Theatre Award, A Critics Circle National Dance Award, The Herald Angel Award and the 1998 Brian Glover Memorial Award, Gary Clarke is currently regarded as one of the UK’s leading independent contemporary dance artists. He has received great appreciation for his work as a Choreographer, Director, Performer, Mentor, Teacher and Facilitator. He has worked with some of the world’s most prolific dance companies and choreographers and has developed a growing reputation for creating his own extraordinary dance work of various sizes and scales which has received praise from critics and audiences in the UK and abroad.
Gary has a passion for artistic growth and development and has extensive experience in mentoring young dancers, emerging dance makers, established choreographers and organisations including Studio Wayne McGregor’s PEER Mentoring Programme, Hawk Dance Theatre, Morph Dance Company, Ludus Dance Company and Dance United Yorkshire amongst others.
What is on offer?
- £500 fee (to pay for your time to attend the sessions)
- 5 x one hour mentoring sessions with Gary Clarke tailored to you and your work
Who can apply?
- Open to any dance artist who feels they would benefit from this opportunity (some examples include but are not limited to; artists wishing to develop their creative and/or choreographic practice, artists hoping to upscale their work and/or company, artists wishing to start a company and being unsure of where to start)
- Artists at an early stage of their choreographic careers with some successful professional choreographic experience and with the ambition to grow and develop further
- Artists who are West Midlands based or have a strong connection to the region
How to apply
- Submit an expression of interest of maximum 300 words or a 3 minute video answering the following questions to firstname.lastname@example.org
- How would you describe yourself in three words?
- Tell us a bit about your pathway into making work and why you think working with a mentor will help the next stages of your development (try to highlight specific areas you may need help and guidance with or what challenges you are facing that you would like mentorship on)
- What drives your artistic practice?
- Submit an Equal Opportunities / Information Form monitoring form alongside your expression of interest
Mentoring sessions must take place between 3 May and 30 June 2021
Deadline: Friday 23 April 5pm
Shortlisted applicants will be notified on Friday 30 April
If you would like to ask any questions about any of the above, we would love to hear from you so please get in touch via email@example.com