STOP PRESS: New drop-in session for the Step Change programme will take place at DanceXchange’s studios, Level 5, Birmingham Hippodrome, Thorp Street, Birmingham B5 4TB on Tuesday 18 October 11am-12.30pm. For more info visit here .
DX is proud to support the Step Change programme run by the National Theatre in partnership with Bristol Old Vic, Live Theatre and The Lowry.
Step Change is a national programme for professionals seeking to progress/develop their careers in the producing and management side of the performing arts, supporting those in need of a change of direction.
Focusing predominantly on arts administration roles (including producing, management, project management, learning, development, marketing, cultural policy etc), Step Change expands the range of opportunities for those hoping to make a transition within or into the arts, especially those who are overlooked and underrepresented.
Step change is for anyone who:
- Has a strong desire to further develop a career in the performing arts and has already tried various options to broaden their experience
- Is at early/mid-career level with a relevant transferable skillset
- Is mature and self-aware with the ability to evaluate and take ownership of their own professional development
- Has experience of working – preferably within the arts – for either a large organisation, a small one, independently, or all three (minimum three years, no maximum)
- Is a performer, artist or director looking to gain a wider understanding of the producing and management side of the performing arts and can demonstrate why this opportunity is necessary to help progress their career
- Is available for all of the compulsory dates (see below)
INDUCTION: Thurs 5 | Fri 6 January 2017; National Theatre
RESIDENTIAL 1: Mon 13 |Tues 14 | Weds 15 March 2017; Live Theatre, Newcastle
RESIDENTIAL 2: Tues 6 | Weds 7 | Thurs 8 June 2017; The Lowry, Salford
RESIDENTIAL 3: w/c 9 October 2017 (three days tbc); Curated by Bristol Old Vic, Bristol
EVALUATION: Mon 8 | Tues 9 January 2018; National Theatre
In addition, all participants will be expected to undertake mentoring in their own time and a 40-day secondment to another organisation.
Hear from previous participants about their experiences in this short film:
There will be several ‘Applicant Preparation’ sessions during October where you can hear more about the programme and meet previous participants. Take a look at a film of one of these sessions at The National Theatre
The Application Deadline is Monday 31 October 2016